KarazwLaimoon

Go to content

Main menu:

Trips + W/Shops

Shweir: An Introduction
Habib N. Hammam (June 2019)

Click Here to download the profile in English
Click Here to download the profile in Arabic

(النص العربي في اسفل الصفحة)
The township of Shweir consists of the villages of Shweir, Ain el Sindyaneh and Dhour el Shweir, which was known as Marhata until the early 20th century. It is an area about 1200 meters above sea level in the mountains, 26 kilometers North East of Beirut, lying under the majestic mount Sannin. The landscape is known for its natural beauty and its pine forests, Italian pine having been introduced to Lebanon by Prince Fakhreddin Al Ma’ni II after his exile to Tuscany.

There are several theories about the origin of the name “Shweir”. The most likely is that the name derives from the Syriac word “Shoro”, equivalent to “sur” in Arabic which means a defensive wall. It is an apt name because the village of Shweir is nestled at the bottom of a U shaped valley surrounded by high hills on all sides except for a small opening to the East at the mouth of the U where there are huge rock formations, thus making the village a natural fortress easy to protect against unwanted outsiders. The village started getting populated after the Ottoman conquests of 1517, mainly by people seeking refuge from persecution or otherwise escaping from pursuit by the authorities. They were a hardy and resilient people. By 1624 there were just a few families eking out a living mainly from shepherding and agriculture. The earliest known reference to Shweir is in relation to the battles between the Qaisis and the Yamanis for leadership of the mountains when, in 1636, Shweiris joined the fight on the side of the Qaisis in the hills of Marhata and drove the Yamanis back to the forests of Mrouj. By and by, Shweir grew and became a trading hub for wheat (from Zahle) and other products, catering to nearby farming communities. During the feudal period, Shweir “belonged” to the (then) Druze Emirate of Abi Allama’ whose seat was in Mtein, but the people of Shweir were a troublesome lot and refused to pay taxes. It is to be noted that Shweir itself never had a feudal chief nor were there in Shweir any feudal palaces as in some other villages of the Lebanese mountains.

Being a land inhospitable to agriculture except for the hardy pine, pine seeds and other pine derivatives, (wood and cones for fuel and pine powder for eye makeup, Kohl), became a source of income. Other industries grew. The red soil in Dhour el Shweir and its environs contained some iron ore. The Romans had started iron smelters in early times and until recently remnants of a Roman smelter could still be seen in the high hill above Dhour (Tallet Dahdouh) and there are several Roman sarcophagi in Ain el Kassis and Zaa’rour). But the iron ore was not rich enough and smeltering was abandoned until it was picked up again in the late 17th century when Shweiris re-learned the industry from the master blacksmiths of Baalbeck. Iron works then resurged in Shweir bringing rich iron ore from Douma in the North on muleback. Iron smiths abounded and Shweir made a very lucrative trade in weapons and horseshoes sold to the Ottoman army through Prince Bashir al Shahabi who monopolized the iron industry. The people of Shweir also picked up and became highly skilled in the industry of stone masonry and construction and became famous and very much in demand not only in Lebanon but also in Syria, Palestine and Jordan, so much so that the word “Shweiri” became synonymous with “builder”, no matter where the builder came from. So a person in Tripoli who wanted to build a house was told to get a “Shweiri” from Homs. Beiteddine, the palace of Prince Bashir al Shahabi, was built by Shweiris under the leadership of Rustum Mujais. A fourth industry, silk, grew in Shweir. At its height in the 19th century there were 11 silk factories. It was not until the early 20th century that the hills of Marhata became known as Dhour el Shweir and was built up and flourished as an attractive summer resort for families from Beirut as well as Egypt, Iraq and elsewhere.

But perhaps Shweir is best known for the number of authors and intellectuals it has produced among whom are Dr. Khalil Saadeh, Antoun Saadeh, Jirjis Hammam, Sheikh Daher Khairallah, Sheikh Amin Daher Khairallah, Fares Meshreq, Shadid Yafet, Mkhaiel Sawaya, Asad Rustum, Salwa Nassar, Khalil Hawi, Elia Hawi, Mansour Jurdak, Toufic Ataya, Salim Katul, Iskandar Harik, Melhem Kurban, Remon Ghosn and others. Not being part of Lebanon’s urban elite, the landowning class, or the feudal aristocracy, the people of Shweir valued education as a means of getting ahead so they sent their children to school. Many studied at the school of Deir Mar Elias and other village schools, but education took a qualitative leap when the Protestant Mission had to close its school in Abey (Shouf) and chose to open a mission school in Shweir in 1874. Since in Ottoman times foreigners were not allowed to own land, the land for the school was first purchased in Ain El Kassis in the name of the educator Jirjis Hammam and later turned over to the mission when the law allowed. The school was first established by the reverend John Ray of the Free Church of Scotland and flourished under the leadership of the Scotsman Dr. William Carslaw, engineer, medical doctor and pastor. Henry Jessup of the Syrian Protestant College (AUB) was on the board of the school and its graduates were guaranteed acceptance to AUB if they wished to pursue higher studies and many did. The school compound remains active now as the Evangelical Conference Center at Ain el Kassis.

Since the 1890s, people from Shweir began emigrating mostly to the United States and Australia seeking a better future. As of the early 1970s, many Shweiris followed the oil boom to Saudi Arabia and the Gulf, making lucrative careers especially as engineers and builders. Almost every family of Shweir has one or more members working abroad. While Lebanon’s civil war 1975-1990 devasted Dhour el Shweir as a summer resort for people from Beirut and elsewhere, it still thrives on its own expatriates, their children and grand children who return every year to the land that they love. Every summer a Festival of Emigrants is organized by the municipality featuring musical performances, exhibits, nature tours and cultural events.

نبذة عن الشوير
حبيب ن. همام) حزيران 2019)
تحوي منطقة الشوير قرى الشوير وعين السنديانة وضهور الشوير التي كانت تُعرف بـ مرحاتا حتى أوائل القرن العشرين. وهي تعلو في معدلها 1200 متر عن سطح البحر في المتن الشمالي على بعد 26 كيلومترًا شمالي شرقي بيروت. وتشتهر المنطقة بمناظرها الطبيعية الخلابة في ظلال جبل صنين الشامخ وغابات الصنوبر الايطالي الذي أتى به إلى لبنان الأمير فخر الدين المعني الكبير بعد ما عاد من منفاه في توسكانة الايطالية.
هنالك عدة نظريات عن مصدر تسمية الشوير ويُرجَّح ان اصل الاسم يعود الى كلمة "شورو" في اللغة السريانية اي "سور" بالعربية. وهذا المعنى ينطبق على الطبيعة التوبوغرافية للشوير اذ ان القرية تقع في اسفل وادٍ بشكل نضوة حصان "U" محاطًا من كل جهاته بتلال عالية ما عدا فوهة النضوة الى جهة الشرق حيث تتواجد صخور عارمة تدعى صخور القلعة، مما يجعل الشوير حصنًا منيعًا يمكن الدفاع عنه. وكانت بداية القرية ابان قيام الدولة العثمانية عام 1517 حيث لجأ الى غاباتها عدد قليل من الاناس الهاربين من البطش او الاضطهاد او ملاحقين لأسباب أخرى وكانوا جماعة من ذوي الشجاعة والمقدرة والإعتماد على النفس.
وبحلول عام 1624 لم يكن هنالك سوى بضع عائلات تعول نفسها برعاية الماشية والزراعة البسيطة. وأول ذكر عن الشوير جاء بالنسبة إلى مشاركة الشويريين الى جانب القيسيين في معركة ضد اليمانيين عام 1636 والتي دارت رحابها في تلال مرحاتا وأدّت الى اندحار اليمانيين وتراجعهم الى غابات المروج. وبمرور الزمن كبرت الشوير وازداد أهلها واصبحت محطة لتجارة القمح (من زحلة) وغيره من المنتجات وسوقًا يفي باحتياجات المجتمعات الزراعية المجاورة. وكانت تلك ايام الاقطاع وكانت الشوير تابعة لإمارة أبي اللمع (الدرزية آنذاك) ومركزها المتين، الاّ ان اهالي الشوير كانوا جماعة صعبة ومشاكسين وكانوا يرفضون دفع الضريبة. ويجدر الذكر هنا انه لم يوجد في الشوير اي نافذٍ اقطاعي وليس في الشوير اي قصر اقطاعي كما يوجد في بعض القرى اللبنانية الجبلية.
وبما ان اراضي الشوير لم تكن صالحة للزراعة على شكل واسع ما عدا اشجار الصنوبر، اصبح الصنوبر ومشتقاته (الاكواز للوقود، والكحل) مصدرًا للدخل كما نشأت صناعات أخرى. فتربة ضهور الشوير وجوارها كانت تحتوي على مادة الحديد الخام واستخراجه الرومان في الأيام الغابرة وصنَّعوه وكانت بعض آثار المصاهر الرومانية لا تزال موجودة حتى السنوات الأخيرة في أعالي ضهور الشوير (تلة دحدوح) كما توجد بعض النواويس الرومانية في عين القسيس والزعرور. غير ان تربة الحديد لم تكن غنية بما فيه الكفاية فتوقفت صناعة الحديد الى ان عاد تصنيعها في القرن السابع عشر حيث عمد الشويريون الى جلب التربة الغنية بالحديد من اراضي دوما في الشمال وكانوا قد اعادوا تعلم صناعة الحديد من حدَّادي بعلبك الماهرين في تلك الصناعة. وكثرت مصانع الحديد في الشوير وكانت تجارة ناجحة خاصةً تجاه تصنيع السيوف والرماح ونضوات الخيول التي كانت تباع الى الجيش العثماني بواسطة الأمير بشير الشهابي الذي كان قد جعل صناعة الحديد حكراً عليه. كما تعلَّم ابناء الشوير صناعة البناء وتقصيب الحجر حتى برعوا في ذلك وذاع صيتهم وازداد الطلب على مهارتهم ليس فقط في لبنان بل ايضًا في سورية وفلسطين والاردن حتى اصبحت كلمة "شويري" مرادفة لكلمة "معمرجي"، بغض النظر عما اذا كان المعمرجي من الشوير أولاً. فإذا اراد شخصًا من طرابلس على سبيل المثال ان يبني منزلاً يقولون له "روح جيب شويري من حمص". وقد تمَّ بناء قصر بيت الدين على يد شويريين بإشراف رستم مجاعص. كما ازدهرت في الشوير صناعة الحرير التي شملت في اوجها في القرن التاسع عشر 11 كرخانة. وفي أوائل القرن العشرين اتخذت تلال مرحاتا اسم ضهور الشوير وعُمِّرت وكثرت فيها الفنادق والمطاعم وازدهرت كمركز للإصطياف للعائلات البيروتية كما الوافدين من الدول المجاورة خاصتا مصر والعراق.
ولعل اكثر ما تُعرف به الشوير هو العدد الوفير من اهل الفكر والأدب والتربية نذكر منهم الدكتور خليل سعاده، انطون سعاده، جرجس همام، الشيخ ظاهرخيرالله، الشيخ امين ظاهر خيرالله، فارس مشرق، شديد يافت، اسد رستم، سلوى نصار، مخايل صوايا، خليل حاوي، ايليا حاوي، توفيق عطايا، سليم كاتول، منصور جرداق، ملحم قربان، اسكندر حريق، ريمون غصن وغيرهم. وبما ان اهالي الشوير لم يكونوا من نخبة عائلات المدن ولا من كبار المللاكين او اهل الزعامات الاقطاعية فقد اعتمدوا التحصيل العلمي وسيلةً للتقدم فدأبوا على تعليم اولادهم. فدرس العديد في مدرسة دير مار الياس البطريركي وغيرها من مدارس القرية الا ان العملية التربوية اخذت قفزةً نوعية عندما اغلقت الارسالية البروتستنية مدرستها في عبيه (الشوف) واختارت ان تفتح مدرسةً ارسالية في عين القسيس في الشوير عام 1874. في تلك الحقبة العثمانية لم يكن مسموحًا للأجانب بتملك الأراضي فتم شراء أرض للمدرسة بإسم المعلم جرجس همام الشويري وعادت ملكيتها إلى الإرسالية حين سمح القانون بذلك. وأُسّست المدرسة في البدء على يد القس جون راي التابع لكنيسة اسكتلنده الحرة وتميزت وازدهرت على يد الإسكتلندي وليم كارسلو وكان مهندسًا وطبيبًا وقسيسًا بارعًا. وجلس في مجلس ادارة المدرسة السيد هنري جيسوب من الكلية السورية البروتستنية آنذاك (الجامعة الأميركية). وكان مستوى التعليم في المدرسة ناجحًا بشكل جعل الجامعة الأميركية تتقبل جميع خريجي المدرسة ممن ارادوا متابعة دراستهم واستفاد من ذلك العديد من أبناء وبنات الشوير. ومجمع المدرسة لا يزال ناشطًا اليوم كمركز انجيلي للإجتماعات في عين القسيس.
منذ عقد الـ 1890 بدأ عدد من اهالي الشوير الهجرة خاصة الى الولايات المتحدة واستراليا سعيًا وراء مستقبل أفضل. ومنذ السبعينات من القرن الماضي دأب الشويريون على اللحاق بفورة البترول في المملكة العربية السعودية وبلدان الخليج ونجح منهم الكثير في مجالات الهندسة والعمار وغيرها. فأصبح لكل عائلة شويرية فرد أو أكثر في بلاد الإغتراب. ورغم ان الحرب اللبنانية 1975 – 1990 ارهقت ضهور الشوير كمنتجع للإصطياف الا ان البلدة لا تزال تزدهر بعودة ابناءها المغتربين وأولادهم وأحفادهم إلى ديارهم المحببة سنة تلو الأخرى. وتقيم بلدية الشوير وضهور الشوير وعين السنديانة مهرجان عيد المغتربين كل عام بؤمسياته الغنائية ومعارضه الثقافية وزيارات الآماكن الأثرية والمشاوير في الطبيعة الخلابة.

Back to content | Back to main menu